We have 1 in stock.
Pamela Colman Smith: The Untold Story brings together the work of four distinguished scholars who have devoted years of research to uncover the life and artistic accomplishments of Pamela Colman Smith.
Known to millions as the creator of the Rider-Waite Tarot® deck, Pamela Colman Smith (1878-1951) was also a stage and costume designer, folklorist, poet, author, illustrator of ballads and folktales, suffragette, and publisher of books and broadsheets. She specialized in the art of synestethic painting that were based upon the visual images she saw in classical music. In 1907, she was the first non-photographic artist to be exhibited by Alfred Stieglitz at his Photo-Secession Gallery.
This collaborative work presents: a richly illustrated biography of Pamela's life; essays on the people and events that influenced her work; a chronol;ogical survey of her folktales, art and poetry; and an exploration of her lasting legacy.
This 440-page volume also includes:
- Over 400 color images of Pamela's non-tarot art from the private library of Stuart R. kaplan
- Reproductions of 30 selected pages from Pamela's 1901-1905 Visitors book
- Pamela's personal documents, correspondence, portraits and photographs
- Rare archival material from several leading museums and libraries.
- Bibilography with over 500 entries detailing Pamela's published works, reviews, articles and advertisements.
- Index containing 2.100 descriptive entries
Pamela Colman Smith: The Untold Story is the most comprehensive and exhaustive collection of works by and about Pamela Colman Smith published to date!
Text by Stuart Kaplan (1932 - 2021) with additional articles by Mary. K. Greer, Elizabeth Foley O'Connor and Melinda Parsons.
2018, Stamford USA
Size 27,3 x 30,3 x 4,4 cm. Ills. full color, 440 pagina's, cloth (hardcover)